PNP modem woes

Mark Ovens markov at globalnet.co.uk
Mon Jul 26 22:55:21 BST 1999

On Mon, Jul 26, 1999 at 10:04:01PM +0100, Paul Rose wrote:
> I got my first convert so to speak a few weeks ago, and helped
> him install FreeBSD on server at home, which had an old ISA modem
> in at the time; for which I setup (userland) PPP. Having left
> quite content, a week or two later he bought a PNP modem, and since
> then my friend has been unable to get it to work. I've made several
> suggestions, and read through the handbook, but not being too
> familiar with PPP and modems under FreeBSD am not doing to well
> at helping over the phone. :(
>
> The PNP modem works fine under windows (his machine dual boots),

This sounds horribly like a WinModem. If it is then it's not going
to work under FreeBSD. It requires Windows, as the OS performs the
function of the hardware (DSP?) in a real modem. Check this out
before wasting any more time with it (if it doesn't say explicitly
in the documentation, a clue that it *isn't* a Winmodem is if it
can work under DOS).