Using a mail account on dogma

Mark Ovens markov at globalnet.co.uk
Wed Jul 21 18:35:07 BST 1999

On Tue, Jul 20, 1999 at 09:44:52PM +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Mark Ovens wrote:
>
> > I suppose that's because there's no POP server running on dogma?
> >
> > So, how to do it?
>
> Can't you just put a .forward file on dogma to forward the mail to your
> normal markov at globalnet account?

I realize that, but it kind of defeats the object of having a mail
account on dogma (apart from having a FreeBSD mail address). Anyway,
Lee has now set up a POP3 server. Thanks Lee.

BTW Ben, I've installed par(1) which you recommended. Does a good
job of re-formatting quoted text in e-mails, but could you send me
details of how you have the PARINIT envar setup, and what arguments
you use when formatting e-mails as I've found a couple of situations
in which it screws up. e.g.

Both with & without the default PARINIT doing ``!}par 70q'' on

> > 1024 72.24KHz horizontal 85Hz vertical
> > 1280 73.29KHz horizontal 70Hz vertical

gives the following (the ``1'' on the second line has been left
and the rest of the line concatenated with the first line):

> > 1024 72.24KHz horizontal 85Hz vertical 280 73.29KHz horizontal
> > 170Hz vertical

and ``!}par 70q'' on

>   $ cc -c filename.c >out.dat
>   $ cc -c filename.c 2>out.dat

gives:

>   $ cc -c filename.c c filename.c 2                         >out.dat

I've spent quite some time reading the manpage, but can't work out
how to fix it.