Frustration with Samba

David Stocks dgs at samphrey.dcs.ed.ac.uk
Tue Jul 6 19:47:31 BST 1999

Evening all,

I was wondering if anybody could give me some help with setting up Samba on
a 2.2.6 system; I've been playing around with it for a little while now,
and, quite frankly, one hand is reaching for my shotgun.

I can't even get my windows machine to _find_ the FBSD machine, let alone do
anything off it.

Following one of the articles in the FreeBSD Diary on the subject I
activated the extra lines in inetd.conf (they'd been commented out):

netbios-sn stream tcp nowait root /usr/local/sbin/smbd smbd
netbios-ns dgram udp wait root /usr/local/sbin/nmbd nmbd

After doing this, my machine slows conciderably and nmbd keeps on restarting
itself after running for a few seconds, with the fun result that its pid
keeps on growing.

I've read over the smb.conf (5) man page, looked at the sample configuration
files, and as best I can see there's nothing wrong with my smb.conf file
that should stop it being at least visable to the outside world.

My best guess is that there's something wrong with the way nmbd is being run
(since it is constantly respawning and doesn't bother to answer any name
requests best I can tell) - am I just being stupid or does the problem lie
else where?  I have a feeling that if other machines could _see_ the FBSD
machine then getting the shares working should be more simple...

I'm running Samba 1.9.18p3, and a significant risk of random violence... if
anybody out there can help... just like, please.

Yours hopefully,
David Stocks
CS + AI undergraduate, Edinburgh University
CS + AI undergraduate, Edinburgh University.
"When I said 'we', officer, I was referring to myself, the four young
ladies, and, of course, the goat."