Porting Unix Software

Greg Lehey grog
Sat Dec 18 02:53:35 GMT 1999

On Friday, 17 December 1999 at 23:12:12 -0000, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> I've been asked if there is any books that I'd like for Christmas,
> and after a look around Amazon, I wondered if any one has any
> experience with the O'Reilly book "Porting Unix Software" by our
> very own Greg Lehey.
>
> The date of publication is June 1995, so I wonder if it still has
> any worthwhile relevence to porting Applications to FreeBSD today.
>
> Any opinions would be appricated, especially Greg's! :-)

I suppose that if I were to write a second edition, I'd change a
number of things, but they'd mainly be in the area of "how do I get
the sources?".  There isn't much mention of FreeBSD in there (none of
the Ports Collection, which I didn't know when I wrote the book), nor
very much of Linux.  In a new edition I'd give them more time.  And,
of course, the operating systems have changed somewhat since then.

On the other hand, there's a lot of solid background in the book that
you won't find anywhere else, and I refer to it myself quite a bit.
Looking round at the mess on my table, I see about 10 books, including
PUS.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key