Attention Brian Somers (or anyone else who can help)

c.raven at ukonline.co.uk c.raven
Thu Dec 9 02:02:18 GMT 1999

> > Brian,
> > What would it take to get modem configuration and installation utility
built
> > in to /stand/sysinstall ? Or, at least to have a "newbie" script that
finds
> > and configures modems and the required paramaters ... perhaps allowing
users
> > to enter their ISP details and have it saved automagically to the
ppp.conf
> > file etc..
> >
> > By that I mean, would it need to be a 'sponsored' effort and, if so how
many
> > hours would be required (guestimation). I just figured it was something
> > really missing from FreeBSD at the moment (latest version I have is 3.3
in
> > case the situation has altered).
> >
> > With the desktop now in the the /stand/sysinstall modems seem to be one
of
> > the only big gaps remaining.
>
> There already is one - kind of.  It'll allow you to set your authname,
> authkey, IP addresses, phone number, device and speed.

Is this perhaps a possible building point? Can it be configured to run from
both the root shell and an X environment with a simple gui?

> There's no such thing as a database of AT commands to identify modems
> and configure modems with lousy defaults though....  Is this the side
> of things you're thinking of ?

OK, then perhaps a basic collection of known commands for various modems ...
this being perhaps submitted by those who got modems to work - much in the
same way as the X11 monitor parameters get done ... this collection being
chosen from at time of install - pick one that best matches your machine or
check http://www.freebsd.org/something or other ..... for latest additions
(the files can be grabbed and inserted into such and such directory type
thing?

> If so, I would think the time & effort would be mostly driven by the
> availability of some initial data, and the desire to get it working.
> I wouldn't limit it to ppp though - I'd tend to go for a more generic
> ``please give me a good init string for this modem'' type
> interface....

So, by this perhaps if I were to say ... start asking modem manufacturers to
supply config strings for their various modems and, this was then used to
build an initial database ..... would sombody be willing to run with the
coding bit? I'm ready and able to do the leg work of chasing data etc., but
sadly can't code for peanuts.