Mounting CDs

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Fri Dec 3 17:57:55 GMT 1999

On Fri, Dec 03, 1999 at 05:01:17PM +0000, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Helen McCall wrote:
>
> > You want a line like the one below in your /etc/fstab:
> >
> > /dev/mcd        /cdrom          iso9660 ro,user,noauto,unhide
> >
> > I admit shamefacedly that I have lifted this straight from my Debian
> > system because it is to late at night.
> >
> > You want to replace the "mcd" bit with whatever driver you are using. The
> > bit you are most interested in is after the "iso9660" bit. That is how to
> > allow user mounts read-only.
>
> iso9660 is spelt cd9660 on FreeBSD, too.

What version of FreeBSD are you using? It doesn't work on 3.3-STABLE
(as of about the end of Oct.:

marder-1:/usr/var{74}% grep cdrom /etc/fstab
/dev/cd0c               /cdrom  cd9660  ro,user,noauto,unhide   0       0
marder-1:/usr/var{75}% mount /cdrom
cd9660: -o user: option not supported
marder-1:/usr/var{76}%

There's no mention in the manpage of either "user" or "unhide" as
options.