Please fix your Autoresponse

Michael Robson Michael.Robson at mcc.ac.uk
Wed Dec 1 18:20:54 GMT 1999

Apologies to everyone one on the freeBSD list (_apart_ from Helen
McCall) for my vacation message being sent to this list: My partner
gave birth to our daughter 10 days earlier then planned and so I
found myself in the position of trying to get a couple of weeks work
done in one afternoon before I could commence my paternity leave. In
my haste, I mispelt the freeBSD emailing address in my 'vacation
message exclusions list' file (by 1 letter) of 40 or so email lists.
I hope this has now been corrected correctly.

> Please will you fix the autoresponse which keeps sending me messages like
> the one included below.

Surely it would be the autorespon_der_ that sends the message,
rather than the message itself? It wasn't _like_ the one 'included
below' but but _exactly as_ the one 'included below'.

> You appear to have a complete imbecile called Michael Robson on your staff
> who has set his vacation response to work on mail from the freebsd list.
>
> Please will you also arrange for some basic training to teach him how to
> exclude list mail addresses from his auto responses.

I'd prefer you to teach me how to be perfect, just like you.

> The content of his autoresponse suggests that he is responsible for your
> networking support, and should certainly know better than to to this.

...better than to to this??

> Hence my comment on his imbecility. God help you all if you have to
> rely on him for network support! :-{
>

> > AUTOMATIC VACATION MESSAGE:
> >
> > I am away until the 14th of December and will answer your message
> > on my return. Network problems reported to the Operations Bridge on
> > (0161 275) 6001 will be directed to an appropriate member of the
> > COS-SYS networking team.

I hope Helen that one day you may learn to appreciate that it is
actually possible to make mistakes without actually being an
imbecile. I also hope that you might try to appreciate that because
of my situation, I had other things on my mind other than checking my
email, which resulted in the long period of time before I actually
discovered this mistake. There is often more to a situation than that
which appears on the surface and so it would perhaps be nice
if you could learn to get the 'complete picture' _before_  'flying
off the handle'.

Michael Robson.