Upgrading to FreeBSD 3.2 etc

Mark Ovens mark
Tue Aug 31 18:50:17 BST 1999

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 10:11:52AM +0100, Charles Brewster wrote:

> >> I can't seem to figure out any straightforward or intuitive way to get a
> >> $p$g type prompt in the default "csh" shell
> >
> >alias cd 'cd \!*;set prompt="`hostname`:`pwd`{!}% "'
> >

> Yup!! ... that most certainly does the biz ....
>
> Heartfelt thanks!!
>
> I don't s'pose you've got any bright ideas for how to get the up and down
> arrow keys to scroll through the command history in csh?? ... as in bash or
> in MS DOS with doskey installed ...

Nope. Can't be done with csh :-(. But you have the source, so if
you fancy "fixing" it I'll gladly have the patches off you :-).

I have written a mod to csh to allow filename completion to work
correctly if the file or directory name(s) contain spaces (especially
useful if you have Windows on you PC as well, Program Files etc).
If you're interested:

http://ukug.uk.freebsd.org/~mark/#csh

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.