Upgrading to FreeBSD 3.2 etc

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Tue Aug 31 19:01:46 BST 1999

On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 03:47:07PM +0100, Ben Smithurst wrote:
> Charles Brewster wrote:
>
> > I don't s'pose you've got any bright ideas for how to get the up and down
> > arrow keys to scroll through the command history in csh?? ... as in bash or
> > in MS DOS with doskey installed ...
>
> Why don't you install a nicer shell, like zsh, from the
> port/package? Just keep /bin/csh (*shudder*) or /bin/sh as the shell for
> root, which you don't really need advanced features in. I use `su -m` to
> become root anyway, thus keeping my normal login shell (zsh).
>
> You can do `set -o emacs' in /bin/sh to make arrow keys work, I'm not
> sure about csh. I *HATE* csh and all its relatives.

[treading carefully in the minefield of religious wars]

I guess it's what you're used to. I got introduced to UNIX on a
Sun386i (yes, an INTEL 386 in a Sun box - it showed just what a
pig's ear M$ made of exploiting the power of Intel's first 32-bit
chip) about 10 years ago. Of course csh is the default shell on
Suns, and I've used it that long I know my way around it, ``!!''
history and all.

I've read numerous posts expounding the virttues of bash. zsh etc
but never felt the need to change because I've not found anything
I can't do with csh (my Sun at work has ~300 aliases set up (I can
remember ~90% of them)), but I agree that for a newbie from the
DOS/Win world other shells would be more intuitive, arrow key
history etc.

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.