Upgrading to FreeBSD 3.2 etc

Ben Smithurst ben at scientia.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 31 15:47:07 BST 1999

Charles Brewster wrote:

> I don't s'pose you've got any bright ideas for how to get the up and down
> arrow keys to scroll through the command history in csh?? ... as in bash or
> in MS DOS with doskey installed ...

Why don't you install a nicer shell, like zsh, from the
port/package? Just keep /bin/csh (*shudder*) or /bin/sh as the shell for
root, which you don't really need advanced features in. I use `su -m` to
become root anyway, thus keeping my normal login shell (zsh).

You can do `set -o emacs' in /bin/sh to make arrow keys work, I'm not
sure about csh. I *HATE* csh and all its relatives.

--
Ben Smithurst            | PGP: 0x99392F7D
ben at scientia.demon.co.uk |   key available from keyservers and