Upgrading to FreeBSD 3.2 etc

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Mon Aug 30 22:43:40 BST 1999

On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 05:28:12PM +0100, Charles Brewster wrote:
> Hi folks!!
>
> It being the Bank Holiday weekend, I decided to push the boat out and make
> the change from 2.2.7 to 3.2, and, moreover, to risk doing it with FTP.
>
> Well, I'm happy to report that after 13 hours of downloading (via a 56K
> modem) at 4.30 am this morning I was able to re-boot to a working system!!

Expect to see BT's profits (& share price) rise then ;-)

> (thanks due incidentally to Brian Somers' ppp man pages for guidance on
> configuration and how to talk to the modem direct from the keyboard).
> Caution prevailed in that I didn't install 3.2 over my existing 2.2.7, but
> rather used a couple of Gigs partition at the high end of my HD which had
> recently been trashed in an abortive attempt to install Windoze NT (NT4
> doesn't like a HD configuration which has a non-MS partition somewhere in
> the middle of the drive  - doesn't work, ****s up the partition table, and
> subsequent attempts to repair did the trashing).

It will work (I've got my FReeBSD root slice in the middle of the
HD with NT at the end, but I installed NT first. Installing Win9x,
NT, then FreeBSD seems to be the best way to do things.

> A few observations for anyone else who may be comtemplating the move to
> FreeBSD 3.2. -- Perhaps naively, I assumed that I would just be able to
> copy various installed ports, shells, utils etc across from the 2.2.7
> partition, so I didn't specify any ports to be included in the FTP install
> of 3.2. This may have been a mistake, because (as far as I can figure it)
> the old applications have "a.out" binaries and 3.2 requires "ELF" binaries,
> so programs like "bash" or "mcopy" from 2.2.7 won't run on 3.2. Would this
> be the case if I had installed 3.2 over the existing 2.2.7?? Does anyone
> know??
>
> A point perhaps relevant to FreeBSD advocacy which was discussed here a few
> months back. Why oh Why does a bare-bones install of FreeBSD not boot up
> (as Linux does) with a shell which has the equivalent of the MSDOS $p$g
> prompt so the user can at least see where s/he is in the directory
> structure?? When I first installed FreeBSD about a year ago I recall that
> it took me most of a day to get what I (and many others) would regard as a
> usable command prompt. This time, partly because the "bash" from 2.2.7
> won't work in 3.2, I've spent most of today trying to accomplish the same
> task.
>
> I can't seem to figure out any straightforward or intuitive way to get a
> $p$g type prompt in the default "csh" shell, and a new "bash" (2.03) fresh

alias cd 'cd \!*;set prompt="`hostname`:`pwd`{!}% "'

> downloaded from www.freebsd.org and installed in 3.2 with pkg_add delivers
> the singularly unhelpful response:
>
> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "libhistory.so.3" not found
>
> a visit to the FAQ and a search on "libhistory.so.3" reveals nothing. Does
> anyone know anything about this mystery object?? Can anyone attach a copy
> of it to an email for me please?? Alternatively can anyone please suggest a
> patch or a download source for a version of "bash" which will install and
> work in 3.2 or tell me what the workaround is.
>
> There was some discussion a while back about "badge-ing" or whatever a UK
> oriented FreeBSD distribution set to raise a bit of beer money for the UK
> users goup ... IMHO something with a few mods to the install script which
> would deliver a user interface tailored to a user with a UK keyboard and
> some familiarity with MS keyboard shortcuts would be the ticket. Like an
> .emacs script for those non-fluent in lisp which lets you do shift+arrow
> highlighting and ctrl+c ctrl+v cut-and-pasting ... and which makes the
> backspace key work like it does on just about every other PC application I
> have ever used (including the version of emacs which ships with RedHat Linux).

The problem is that no matter how the install setup works it'll
never be to everyone's liking (I'm perfectly at home with the
default csh(1) for example).