PPP Configuration Problems!

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Sun Aug 29 19:53:07 BST 1999

On Sun, Aug 29, 1999 at 06:43:09PM +0100, Andrew Boothman wrote:

> On 28-Aug-99 Mark Ovens wrote:
> >> Even with "allow users" in the default section or in an ISP section, even
> >> though
> >> it runs fine as root.
> >>
> >> If I allow access to a spacific user, using "allow user andrew" I get :
> >
> > That's correct. You need to specify the usernames, it's not a global
> > thing, i.e. allow *these* users, not allow *all* users.
>
> Are you sure? I'm sure (although I can't find it now) that the man page says
> that you can allow access for all users.

Yes, I read the man page but I think it is mis-leading. The handbook states:

15.1.5.3.2. PPP permissions

	ppp must normally be run as user id 0. If however you wish
	to allow ppp to run in server mode as a normal user by
	executing ppp as described below, that user must be given
	permission to run ppp by adding them to the network group
	in /etc/group.

	You will also need to give them access to one or more
	sections of the configuration file using the allow command:

	    allow users fred mary

	If this command is used in the default section, it gives
	the specified users access to everything.

ISTR that when I wanted to run ppp as a non-root user I did the
same as you (``allow users'') and it didn't work. I asked in
-questions and I;m sure it was Brian Somers who told me you have
to list the usernames. I guess you can allow *all* users, as long
as you list *all* their names ;-)

> >> "Warning : No available tunnel devices found (Operation not permitted)
> >>  Warning : Bundle_create : No such file or directory"
> >>

> > Have you got an instance of pppalready running? By default only
> > one tunnel device exists (/dev/tun0) but you need a separate one
> > for each instance of ppp.
>
> No. This is the only PPP running. And /dev/tun0 is present and
> everything works when logged in as root.

Hmm. I've just checked the source. The first error is due to the
call to IDOopen() in bundle_Create() returning EPERM:

	1 EPERM Operation not permitted. An attempt was made to perform
		an operation limited to processes with appropriate
		privileges or to the owner of a file or other resources.

so it looks like a permissions problem. The second error comes from
bundle_Create() returning NULL (due to the first error).

I have tried to re-create the problem on my system, by removing a
user from various groups in /etc/group, but I can't.

I'm using the version of ppp that came on the 3.1 CDs.

Hopefully Brian will jump in here and bail me out :-)

--
STATE-OF-THE-ART: Any computer you can't afford.
OBSOLETE: Any computer you own.