BS/DEL with xterm local & remote

Mark Ovens mark at dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org
Wed Aug 18 19:46:49 BST 1999

On Wed, Aug 18, 1999 at 09:41:18AM +0100, Richard Smith wrote:

> I've solved it :)
>
> 'stty erase ^H' is effectively hardcoded into syscons (see
> /sys/dev/syscons/syscons.c:696). And getty(8) avoids changing it. So as
> you log in locally, 'stty erase ^H' is already set for you, without
> having to put it into a profile (it's working even _before_ login).
> Remote connections use the default defined in sys/ttydefaults.h

Hmmm, I wonder if it's always been that way? I've just #'d out the
stty line in ~/.cshrc and ~/.profile, rebooted (just to make
absolutely sure) and, as you say, BS works as destructive backspace.
I've had the same ~/.cshrc since I started FreeBSD at 2.1.5 and
I'm sure I added the stty because it was needed, or maybe I just
copied the one off my Sun at work, it's that long ago I can't
remember.

Anyway, glad you've sorted it.