BS/DEL with xterm local & remote

Richard Smith richard at jezebel.demon.co.uk
Tue Aug 17 15:05:12 BST 1999

Mark Ovens wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 16, 1999 at 03:33:36PM +0100, Richard Smith wrote:
> > I have a weird problem with xterm. I have a number of _identical_
> > FreeBSD boxes (running 3.2R) which I talk to using xterm. Key mappings
> > for DEL and BS for zsh and emacs are pretty much sorted out by their own
> > configuration files. I notice a difference between the DEL and BS
> > mapping between a remote xterm and a local xterm when running simple
> > commands expecting command line input.
> >
> > For example, run 'cat' and you can type some characters. A local xterm
> > maps BS to a backward-delete-char while DEL echos ^?. A remote xterm
> > maps DEL to a backward-delete-char while BS echos ^H.
> >

> Sounds like the local user has ``stty erase ^H'' somewhere (.login,
> .{csh,sh}rc etc.)

Well...

I don't use any of those files, but I _did_ do some rooting around.
stty(1) reports that the erase is setup differently on the two xterms,
as you surmised.

The termcaps match, and both xterms are of a type TERM=xterm as
expected. I suspect that /dev/ttyv0 and /dev/ttyp0 are configured
differently, possibly through gettytab. I'm not really sure.

But...

I've added the above line to my zshenv file so that both local and
remote xterms get the same environment. So I _have_ fixed the problem.

Thank you for the useful guidance,
Richard.