Domain hosting

Jose Marques noway at nohow.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 12 11:16:19 BST 1999

On Tue, 10 Aug 1999, Brian Somers wrote:

> The cheapest domain hosting I've seen is Force9.  They do it for a
> one-off cost of #50.

Are Force9 any good?  I tried them early last year after you said some
good things about them in comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc but found them to be
not all that good.  Some problems at the time were:

1) Very poor external bandwidth - e.g. access to the UK academic network
was very very slow.

2) Poor news service - which appeared to consist of 3 unsynchronised linux
boxes one of which (not always the same one) was always down or
overloaded.

3) Poor e-mail service - my F9 mailbox was getting spammed by another
company in the F9 group before I even used it.  I also noted that their
POP3 server didn't add headers that would enable fetchmail to reliably
deliver to multiple users via the one host based POP3 mailbox they
provided.

Have things changed?

--
Jose Marques